Bellville ISD Hold Dedication for Historical 1938 Bellville High School Building
The historic 1938 Bellville High School Building site had its historical marker placed before it on Sunday, September 12th at a 2pm memorial ceremony. The marker was placed after the district went through the extensive and lengthy process as outlined by the Texas Historical Commission. The first step was the application process for the site. Once the site was approved then came the commissioning of the marker (which the district had to pay for) and finally to the ceremonial unveiling. On hand for the ceremony were current and alumni of the district, previous students and other .
(click the Facebook Icon in the upper right of the above post to be taken to the district’s Facebook Page or click HERE to be taken to it.)
Here is the historical timeline of the building (taken from the Bellville ISD Website):
- July 14th, 1936 A special meeting of the Board of Trustees was held. A resolution authorizing BISD to file an application to the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works for a loan and grant to aid in financing the construction of a high school and gymnasium building was passed. The application was for $50,000.
- July 16th, 1937 The Board of Trustees convened in special session with the following members present: L.F. Weige (President), H. E. Miller, A. T. Clarke, and Lee Eldridge present. They came to consider a petition of H. F. Granau and thirty-nine other persons asking that an election be ordered upon the question of issuing bonds to construct and equip a public free school building and gymnasium. The bond would be for $50,000.
- The bond passed; 193 for and 42 against. July 4th, 1938 The Board of Trustees convened in special session to pass a resolution accepting the aid offered by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works.
- August 16th, 1938 The Board of Trustees accepted the lowest of seven bids. The bid was submitted by A. N. Evans of Columbus, Texas for $90,443.70
- September 21, 1938 Salaries paid for construction workers per hour were time keeper $.50, floor sander $.75, floor layer $.75 hoist engineer $1.00, steam fitter $.50 and plumber helper $.50.
- December 29th, 1939 Appropriations for construction included the following: Preliminary $359.95, Land, etc., $2,559.77, construction $98,214.00, Engineering $5, 700.00, Legal $48.00, and Miscellaneous $1,900.00.
- August 11, 1939 The Board of Trustees accepted the completed high school and gymnasium buildings.